AWPA Competition Winner Interview : DANILELE DONATI
• 1994 Graduated as film and television operator
• 1994 Graduated as film and television operator
• 2014 ANV Campus | professional training with Philip White (England) • 2015 1° place: Wedding Movie Awards FIOF, Italy
• 2015 ANV Campus | professional training with Mariano Teocrito (Argentina) • 2016 1° place: International Award – Best Photography for wedding movie Inspiration Photographers ed. 9/2016
• 2016 1° place: Wedding Movie Awards FIOF, Italy
• 2016 4° place: International Award – Best Audio for wedding movie Inspiration Photographers ed. 10/2016
• 2016 4° place: International Award – Best Photography for wedding movie Inspiration Photographers ed. 11/2016
• 2016 Master Workshop “la narrativa di matrimonio” Salerno, Italy
• 2016 1° place: Wedding Film Awards Club de Videografos, Murcia – España
• 2016 1° place: Best Videographer in Italy CWC ANV
• 2016 ANV Campus | professional training with Jeff Wood (England)
• 2016 9° place: TOP 20 Ranking 2016 Videomakers most Awarded of the Year Inspiration Photographers
• 2017 2° place: Internation Awards – Best Photography for wedding movie Inspiration Photographers ed. 13/2017
• 2017 1° place: International Awards – The Best Audio Production Inspiration Awards ed. 13/2017 • 2017 Speaker Convection FIOF “wedding cinema” | Orvieto, Italy
• 2017 1° place: FIOF Wedding Movie Awards (Orvieto Photography), Italy • 2017 Master Workshop “una storia vera” | Bari, Italy
• 2017 Speaker Vidosummit III “narracion, composiciòn de la imagen y lenguaje audiovisual” | Murcia, España
• 2017 1° place: International Awards – The Best Audio Production Inspiration Awards ed. 14/2017
• 2017 1° place: AWARDS AsiaWPA Photography & Videography Competition 1st-Half 2017
My name is Daniele Donati and I got a diploma from a videographer in 1994. After working in the field of Television and Film, I am currently specialized in wedding film, where I applied the rules of cinema and where for stylistic choice I use only a 50mm lens. From 2015 to today I have received numerous awards both in Italy and in the rest of the World as the best video cameraman, best photography and best original audio production. I think the wedding film is a documentary film genre and as such it has to tell a story following the audio-visual language.
A: What are your reasons for becoming a videographer?
D: First passion! We have the opportunity to tell stories that will remain forever in the memories of people …
A: How do you maintain your passion in videographer?
D: Looking for new motivations to tell stories differently, trying to evolve.
A: Which videographer(s) inspires you most?
D: I admire many videographers, the list of names would be too long …. there is always so much to learn from everyone.
A: What are your views regarding videographer competitions, and what have your gained from that?
D: Contests are a way to get in the game and confront each other, but it’s a game! Gains are just of image and morals … they serve as a stimulus to keep improving.
A: During editing, how do you decide on which feel and story?
D: First, the tale must contain a story to tell and consequently there will be emotions as well.
A: How do you get your inspiration?
D: Inspiration is mentally entering the story that is being told …
A: What is your source of creativity?
D: My creativity is born out of concentration … when I shoot in a whole world and look at everything from the camera point of view … everything else does not exist.
A: What has been your biggest challenge so far during video shooting?
D: When I decided to shoot only with a 50mm … I thought it was impossible, but I’m 3 years I shoot only with that ..
A: What do you feel you need to improve or learn more?
D: Studying cinematographic books and comparing with other videographers … and garnishing movies in the movies. A: What do you think your clients value most about you or your work?
D: My customers will definitely contact me mainly for my work. Some then call me also for the many awards I won … but I prefer to appreciate my films.
A: What are your plans for the future?
D: I always go from day to day … in the future I’m sure I will have many changes, I hope that in 5 years looking at my current jobs I will say, “No … why did I make these mistakes?” … if the jobs are similar to Current means that I stopped … and then it will also be the case to quit.
A: Any new shooting style you would like to try? Any new methods or new shooting location that you would like to explore?
D: There are so many styles I like, but I think everyone has to understand their own limits and therefore apply the style that can maximize their abilities. I would like to try some free-hand shooting without any support … would be the exact opposite of my working method …
A: Any best tips for other fellow or new videographers?
D: I suggest you always get hungry for knowledge … never stop updating and confronting others.