AsiaWPA 愛分享‧齊成長 Love to Share . Grow Together 攝影師專訪 Interview – Cami Zi
2nd Place Portrait Asia WPA 2018
3rd Place Ceremony and Reception ASIA WPA 2018
Second Place Bridal Party/Family and Friends First Half WPPI 2017
Grand Award Members Only First and Second Half WPPI 2016
Third Place Wedding Couple Together Wedding Day WPPI 2016
30 Rising Stars of Wedding Photography 2017 Rangefinder Magazine
Originally from Brazil, I made Florida my home in 2003. I have been through many challenges in life and following my heart pursuing photography helped me overcome most of it, and become who I am today. I started my career at Walt Disney World as a theme park photographer in 2011 and that is when my life took a turn for the best. My years at Disney were crucial as the company taught me customer service excellence. You can be the best photographer in the world, but if you don’t have a good attitude, your business will struggle to thrive.
In 2013 I photographed my first wedding, and also opened my own business, investing majority of my earnings back in education. I work really hard to this day, and still have a long road ahead of me but I’m humbled to have received recognition from the industry in awards and also sponsorships, becoming the ambassador for brands like Wescott, Magmod and Jpegmini. My goal is to stay focused and keep learning.
1. 怎樣走上攝影師之路？ What are your reasons for becoming a photographer?
I loved photography since I was very young. There is something really special and fun about freezing moments in time and being able to revisit it later, it’s like
2. 通過比賽，你有什麼感想和得著? What are your views regarding photography competitions, and what have your gained from that?
Competition is undoubtedly a great learning opportunity but what I love the most, it is also a great way to network and make life long friends.
3. 你如何获得灵感？ How do you get your inspiration?
Inspiration can come from so many different sources. I keep an open mind and pay attention to the elements surrounding me. Ideas may come from the event itself, client’s personalities, architecture, lighting, weather, etc.
I truly enjoy following filmmakers and colorists in the movie industry on social media, they post endless compelling stills extracted from movies.
靈感可以來⾃許多不同的來源。 我保持開放的⼼態，注意周圍的元素。 想法可能來⾃⽣活本⾝，客⼾的個性，建築，燈光，天氣等。我非常喜歡在社交媒體上關注電影界的電影製作⼈和調⾊師，他們發布了從電影中獲取到無窮無盡和引⼈入勝的劇
4. 可否從你的得獎中分享你拍攝的構思？（請附上作品）Please share about your thought process when shooting your AsiaWPA
award-winning photos (please attach the photos too).
My self portrait was created after my mentors, Luke Edmonson and David Edmonson, challenged me to create an image based on a difficult moment in my life. I fought the idea as I really didn’t want to think about those times. One day, as I was driving to a wedding and I had a vision, a clear image popped into my mind and it brought me to tears. I knew I had to do it.
This image is based on the idea of going back in time, visiting my young self in the past, during difficult days. I wanted to let my young self that everything would be ok. It was a very special process for me and it opened the door for many other ideas.
我的得獎作品是在我的導師Luke Edmonson和David Edmonson挑戰我根據我⽣命中的困難時刻創造⼀個形象之後創造的。 我尋找我真的不敢去想的想法。 終於有⼀天，當我開⾞去參加⼀個婚禮，我有⼀個畫⾯，⼀個清晰的畫⾯突然出現在我的腦海裡，它讓我流淚。 我知道我必須這樣做。
這張照⽚的基礎是回到過去的想法，回到過去在艱難的⽇⼦裡年輕的我。 我想讓我年輕的⾃⼰⼀切都好。 對我來說這是⼀個非常特別的過程，它打開了許多其他想法的⼤⾨。
During the reception a bad storm rolled in, and I wanted to showcase the spectacular storm that was right about the barn. It was a scary storm, and yet the couple was sheltered, they looked so peaceful and safe on each other’s arm during their first dance.
5. 從你的得獎作品中，你拍攝時遇過最⼤的挑战是什么？when shooting your AsiaWPA award-winning photos What has been your biggest challenge so far during photo shooting?
You may have a great concept, but sometimes things just don’t align, mainly on wedding day when many of the elements are out of your control.
6. 在後期處理時，你會怎樣決定不同作品的修圖風格或⾊調？ （請附上作品）During post-processing, how do you decide on which feel and colour tone to use (please attach an example).
I try to stick to natural tones and colors for wedding work, not color grading but I do like to direct attention to the main subject through lighting and some dodge and burning.
For personal projects the color palette is pre planned to support the mood of the image.
7. 在拍攝歷程中，令你印象最深刻是哪⼀次? （請附上作品） Let us know your most unforgettable shoot (please attach an example). (self portrait and behind the scenes) This self-portrait image was actually the very first set that I built so it will always have a special place in my heart. It was more than a photoshoot, it was a transformative journey. Going through the motions of revisiting feelings I was hiding for so long, tears, working with materials and tools I never worked before pushed me beyond my limits. I didn’t love the image at first, but the very moment I shared things changed. I shared I had so many people writing me on how that image had inspired them. Some had gone through difficult situations and connected with the idea of knowing that it all turns out ok. I became proud of it. It was such a rewarding feeling to hear the words “you inspired me”. An image that is now being recognized in different continents, that transcends language and cultural differences, that is pretty humbling, pretty special.
這幅個⼈肖像作品可以這樣說，會在我⼼中佔有⼀個非常重要的位置。 這不僅僅是拍攝照⽚，⽽是⼀場變⾰之旅。 經歷了重新⾃我審視感情，我躲了很長的時間，流過淚，使⽤我在⼯作上從未⽤過的材料和⼯具，使我超越了我的極限。 我⼀開始並不喜歡這張作品，但是在我分享的那⼀刻出現了變化。我分享了我有這麼多⼈寫信給我這張作品是如何啟發他們。 有些⼈經歷了難關，並且知道這⼀切都會變好。 我為此感到⾃豪。 聽到“你激勵了我”這句話對我來說，真的是⼀種很⼤的獎勵。現在在不同地⽅城市這作品均被認可, 這作品超越了語⾔和⽂化的差異，這是非常欣慰，非常特別的。
8.你觉得你需要学什么？ What do you feel you need to improve or learn more?
I have tons of room to learn. There will always be room to finesse posing and lighting, but I would love to improve my story telling skills to push my personal projects a bit further.
9.你对未来的计划是什么？ What are your plans for the future?
Be the best mom I can be, stay true to myself and keep working really hard.